Best 5 AP Statistics Review Books [2022-2023 Edition]
13 Min Read
Table of Contents
The AP statistics exam allow students to experience an introductory non-calculus-based college-level math course. Many science majors and other non-math majors choose this course due to its applicability in a variety of disciplines as well as its algebra-based approach.
With so many test review books on the market, it is hard to choose the one that works best with your schedule, learning style, and amount of prep needed. With limited time to study for the test, it is time-consuming to go through all the options and figure out which one can help you in the areas you need most. Below are some of the 5 best AP Statistics Review Books for 2022 along with their pros and cons. Use this guide to select the best possible review book for your test-taking needs.
The Top 5 AP Statistics Prep Books 2022-2023
This edition is Princeton Review’s most updated version. While older versions are still available, only this edition has been updated for the changes to the 2022 AP Statistics test. The content is comparable to previous editions but does have a lot more online content than students previously had access to. Students will find that it is very thorough in its content coverage and has a lot of pages devoted to explaining the test itself. The book contains calculator skills and other AP Statistics considerations as well. Read more user reviews on Amazon.
- Thorough Coverage of All AP Statistics Content
- Chapter Divisions with Mini Assessments
- Trusted Source of Content Information
- Clear calculator instructions for a variety of accepted calculators on the AP Statistics Test
- Book layout has large margins perfect for taking notes
- Fewer full-length practices tests than other books on the market (only 4)
- Lots of extra information about general testing skills that feels generic and not helpful to someone already familiar with AP testing
- In the basic edition, students might feel that they are being pushed towards Princeton Review’s test and tutoring support services and not that this book has everything they need to succeed
This edition of the popular series has been updated for 2022 both in content and in the style that it’s presented. This study guide offers students a flexible, dynamic, exercise-driven approach to breaking down the steps needed to get a 5. This edition also includes a lot of additional content through their online platform that looks great both on a browser and on mobile. Read more user reviews on Amazon.
- This edition features a daily “5 Minutes to a 5” activity that aligns with concepts that might have been covered in an AP Statistics class.
- Comprehensive overview of the AP Statistics exam format
- The book is full of hundreds of practice exercises with thorough answer explanations
- Through their online platform, students have access to a self-guided study plan that includes flashcards, games, and more
- Only 3 full-length practice exams, however, they are available in the book and online
- Some reviewers report slight errors in the answer explanation sections
- Some issues surrounding oversimplification in the 5 minutes to a five section, and section assumes that in-class learning is following a specific scope and sequence as well as that the student has begun test prep in the early fall.
Another test book by a well-known company, Barron’s AP Statistics Premium edition for 2021-22, includes a lot of in-depth subject material and some options for online practice. It is one of the largest, most in-depth books available on the market. Barron’s also has a number of other resources that can be purchased with their review books such as flashcards and individual practice tests. This book spends a lot of time going through a lot of statistics concepts and could even be used as a resource for someone interested in statistics and isn’t necessarily just for students taking an AP test. Read more user reviews on Amazon.
- This study guide includes 6 full-length tests in the book and an additional 3 more online, more than any of the other books reviewed.
- This book includes access to an online platform that has self-grading tests and other study aids.
- Filled with every possible concept covered on the AP Statistics test, this book is extremely thorough and could be a great resource for someone trying to teach themselves statistics.
- Some students report that this edition doesn’t have many changes from past editions.
- Because this book is very in-depth, it is a pretty large book at almost 700 pages and it is not very portable.
- Some students report that the test answers throughout the book are not as well explained as the test guides from other companies.
Overall, this book follows a very different format than the other books on this list, focused on demonstrating problems, rather than focusing on test strategies and content and then questions. Additionally, each problem has a link to a video on YouTube that explains in detail how to solve the problem, so students can use the book they follow along with the video. Rather than telling students how to solve a problem, they can experience it every step of the way through the video feature. Read more user reviews on Amazon.
- Unique video-focused approach is more modern than other books on the market and might be most similar to the approach that many students already use to learn
- This book contains 100 problems for students to solve and accompanying videos solving the problem step by step.
- This book has a Lack of fluff – this book is just problems, no extra information
- This book is great for teachers looking for ways to support student learning in addition to the content they are already getting in class
- This book contains no practice tests or benchmarks
- Non-traditional format of this book might be surprising for some students who might be looking for a more structured approach to test prep.
- This approach seems to assume that students have already learned this content in class and are just reviewing problems. This could be challenging for someone trying to teach themselves statistics with this resource.
- This book does not contain any test strategies or test descriptions.
- This book’s formatting makes it a little challenging to find specific, smaller concepts a student might want to review without going through the whole book.
This book is the most challenging to find on the list and might require a little bit more searching to find a copy. However, if you can get your hand on this copy, it is an excellent resource for any student who might be taking an AP Statistics course but maybe is struggling and needs a bit more support. This is also equally a good resource for someone who isn’t taking a class but maybe is already somewhat confident with the material and might find it helpful to have a solid review of concepts. This book is more geared towards something that a tutor or a teacher might use with a student, but that is what makes it uniquely well suited to students looking for a lot of support. Read more user reviews on Amazon.
- Written by a team of AP Statistics teachers, who have the needs of students in mind this book is much easier to read through than other similar books.
- This book most closely follows the recommendations for the course as suggested by the College Board, spending about the same amount of time on each concept that the test will have questions from
- This book has an accompanying textbook that goes into even further exploration of concepts for students who are in an AP Statistics course or teaching themselves.
- Of the books reviewed, this book had the most conversational tone that was easy to comprehend and follow.
- This book has not been updated to take into consideration the changes that have been made to the AP Statistics test in 2021.
- The way that this book is written, might be better suited for teachers supporting students with the AP Statistics test or students might consider getting the accompanying textbook
- This test prep resource is challenging to find for purchase
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AP Statistics?
The AP Statistics course and exam allow students to experience an introductory non-calculus-based college-level math course. Many science majors and other non-math majors choose this course due to its applicability in a variety of disciplines as well as its algebra-based approach. As an added benefit, based on the score achieved on the AP Statistics Exam and college they’re attending; students can even earn credit that can translate into a semester college course in statistics, saving students time and money down the road.
The AP Statistics Exam generally takes place in May of each year. It will take place on May 5, 2022, and students will have 3 hours to complete the test. Even though it is a relatively short test, students generally take all year to prepare for it.
How to Prepare for the AP Statistics Exam?
While there are many ways to prepare for the AP Statistics test such as taking a high school AP course or studying on their own, one thing is certain – the more you are able the prepare, the better! However, this test is no walk in the park. Many students rate this as a more challenging AP test than others and data show that only about 57 percent of students score a 3 or higher. Regardless of how you are preparing for the AP Statistics exam, the benefits of using a solid test review book can mean the difference between a scoring 3 or a 5 on the exam.
How to choosing an AP Statistics Test Review Book?
With so many test review books on the market, it is hard to choose the one that works best with your schedule, learning style, and amount of prep needed. With limited time to study for the test, it is time-consuming to go through all the options and figure out which one can help you in the areas you need most. Before reading through this helpful guide, take a few moments to think about the following:
- How do I learn best? Do I learn best by reading through lots of content or is it more helpful for me to take lots of practice tests?
- How detailed a review do I need? You might need less detail if you are already taking an AP Statistics class versus teaching yourself.
- How much time do I have to study? Some of these study guides expect that you begin studying the fall before the test, others have options as close as six weeks before the test.
- Do I plan on using a tutoring or prep service? If so, then your tutor or prep service might have a specific book or resource they want you to purchase.
- Do I want an online or a paper-based service? Now, more and more books have online options.